Home      Deutsch
 

The Minoritenkirche Stein (Minorite Church in Stein) dates back to the 13th century and is the oldest church of the mendicant order north of the Alps. The first documented mention of the monastery is from 1253. 1264 the church was inaugurated in honor of St. Ulrich; it was during this period that the three-aisled nave in the columned basilica of the church was built. In the 14th century the choir was added to the building. The baroque era brought a number of changes in the architectural design that are still visible today in the convent building and in the church tower. In 1796 the monastery was dissolved and the church contents were fully removed; and in 1850, the tobacco factory in Stein set up the choir as a tobacco warehouse.

 

The nave later served as an equipment depot for Stein's voluntary fire department. Then, from 1951 onward, the renovated church building was used as a venue for special exhibitions in art and cultural history. From 1992 to 2001, the Minoritenkirche functioned as an exhibition space as part of the Kunsthalle Krems. Since 2004, under the name Klangraum Krems Minoritenkirche, the building has played an important role as an acoustic space for festivals and events in Lower Austria. The newly adapted Minorite monastery located in the historical city center of Stein was revitalized in 2007. Thoughtful construction and design have transformed the church's historical structure and the ensemble of convent buildings into a modern exhibition venue and given it a new purpose within the city's cultural landscape as the cultural project Minoritenkloster Krems-Stein (also known as Minoritenplatz).

 

This cultural project is divided into three parts: Minoritenkirche, the Minorite monastery (Minoritenkloser) and a new building in the monastery gardens. The facility houses forum frohner, ernst krenek forum, Museum Stein and Klangraum Krems Minoritenkirche.

 

Minoritenkirche (Minorite Church) adaptation 2004

Architect Friedrich Göbl / Architect Reinhardt Gallister

 

Monastery complex adaptation 2007 
Architect Friedrich Göbl Civil Engineer Ges.m.b.H.
Design: Friedrich Göbl / Lukas Göbl / Alex Bolecek